Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Ultimate Spy

A photographic memory is invaluable while playing. I could recall many interesting tidbits I picked up from alliance chat along the way in detail. But the real test was when we went to "WAR" with another alliance. I volunteered my services as a "SPY" after we started to get our asses kicked.

Our original host had decided it was time to leave. The new host that took over... well, lets say I found out later he was a world-class jerk. In real life I have met and known a few of these people and tend to ignore or harrass them. In the wonderful world of Online Gaming they hide out til you start to see their true colors (so-to-speak). Unbeknownst to most of the alliance, the new host had started to aggravate others in the enemy alliance. So off to war we went.

As we slowly but surely got our asses handed to the majority of us. I had a lightbulb go off in my head. I could be a spy! I had just gotten hit and wiped out by a couple of the enemies. What better way to make it seem like I was a former disgruntled alliance member. I got expelled from the alliance and was now looking for a "new" alliance. I mailed the guy that attacked me and gave him a piece of my mind (I think I hurt his feelings). Thus was the beginning of my foray into the world of spying.

A couple of problems I had while spying was keeping my mouth shut. I became one of those in-game personalities, but then I also did that when I was bartending or going out, so I was still staying true to the person I was in RL and online. After awhile I "knew" everyone in that alliance. Which can be a problem when you're trying to sabotage them. I had started to like some of these people. I'm still friends with a few of them to this day.

All in all, I made a good spy. I passed on info that I learned. Told them who was online and off. In the end, my former alliance ended up merging with the attacking alliance I had joined. To make it even better, it was my "Big Brother" in the game that took over as host shortly after. (Big Brother - my brother from another mother... truly a cool guy)

Because of this implied insult to my former host, he left that server and restarted on a new one. (servers - same game, different people) Stupid me. I followed. I was now starting to show signs of addiction. I was now playing 2 servers. To all you non-gamers out there, thats like trying to watch the nightly news and a game of football and hockey all at the same time. Its doable, but it takes effort and some serious dedication on the watchers part.

No comments:

Post a Comment